Haibun: Heat

Sometimes as the heat starts to build for the day—as the Sonoran Desert pulls herself up over 100–a late Spring breeze keeps it cool. Long into July this will be gone, but for now, we can explore.

But on the days when the temperature is going to be 100 or higher, something mental tends to happen, well at least for me. I tell myself a story like this: “It’s going to be too hot, can’t head out today.” The 90-100 marker is like the 40 or lower marker was in the winter: “well I can’t do it.”

But the constant cool breeze as the morning went past 90 whispered “shhh, we don’t have to tell anyone, come on.”

(As American cities burns, I’d be remiss to hid my helplessness I’m channeling into anger. The heat and anger rises in me at yet another senseless killing of another black American man, I long for the cool winds of racial justice long since snuffed out in America. His name, George Floyd. https://twitter.com/thekingcenter/status/1266008254984982529?s=21)

flowery spring hats
top each arm they sat. cha-cha
hot Sonoran dance



Popular Posts

Search Posts