Haibun: Over

So what if, like most Americans, when I think of something bigger or over someone or something, I think of it as dominating what it is over? 

Yet to have a plant over a rock could mean when the wind blows it is there to dance? It may not be there to protect or guide or to enslave, but to dance. But as the one imposing the meaning, the one ordering, I push my meaning onto it. We all do this all day, every day. 

Sometimes to be “over” is simply to be there as it is, because to have a heads is to have a tails, to have an over is to have an under. Sometimes to be “over” is just a label like “under” in our hyper categorized world lining us up to push ourselves further into being efficient. Yet when the wind blows, the flower dances over the rock with moss, and I am stuck with my labels and stories instead of a way to dance. These labels are, in part, how I think you and I can make such meaningless lives in a world filled with wonder. 

small purple flowers, 
over moss, towers... lightly.
spring sings mightily

&Haiku: Over

Popular Posts

Search Posts