Haibun: Rhymes

Is it the changing or the sameness that makes things rhyme? Is it the temperature differences or same plant in bloom that gives it it’s rhyme? I know so often when I notice change, similarity is pointing it out. When I notice things are just about the same, I was led there by my resistance to difference.

That’s the thing about life, to stop completely is to stop the motion we call life. Things alive are in flux and changing, inanimate objects and feelings are the only things that can remain unchanged. Change is life.

Yet its the story of it having to be a certain way, a perfect way, that makes me “need” life to remain fixed. My hope around an event or situation turning out a certain way frees me from the anxiety of just being, probably because I am afraid just being won’t be good enough. And so I replay, again and again, those times I was ridiculed or hard on myself when just being wasn’t good enough. I watch and rewatch, refeel and refuel the shame.. It’s my insecurity that asks for the security of sameness and it’s me afraid I can’t figure out a new way of handling things.

the hammer of thor
held up there assured...with time
spring after spring rhymes

&Haiku: Thor's Hammer

Popular Posts

Search Posts