Haibun: My Mind's Work

Recently in Alaska, my cousin and I were driving down to the Kenia Fjords. We had a few hours in the car and played an audiobook. The book itself was interesting, but my mind drifted. The landscape was indelible but my mind needed to settle other issues. 


I’m finding that my agenda can be trumped by other issues. I needed to work out something that was apparently bothering me. I wanted to hear the book. I wanted to take in the landscape, but I had to wrestle with that issue and dissolve it. 


But now I have peace with what I can do about it because I didn’t fight the emotions that came to me but just let them play out as the miles unfolded. I didn’t struggle with it, I let it play out and could see how I wasn’t being treated justly and was being taken advantage of. I needed that time of letting my mind drift away so my mind could deal with things on my mind’s own terms.


ice from another age
melting mountain sage, glacier 
autumn keeps heat’s rage



Popular Posts

Search Posts