Haibun: Me Versus Instagram

Who has the authority in each of our  reflections? Scrolling through Instagram, do you or I scroll with envy? Do I follow the people that I want to follow so I can be more like them?

If I were to scroll through Instagram with envy, when I start to reflect, to assess, to weigh my latest experience, is it in comparison to what I know about myself or am I weighing my experiences to those I envy on Instagram? It takes a question, “whose life am I living, their’s or mine?“

To live t
heir life is to envy. But to live mine is to know myself. It is to observe myself with lesser and lesser judgment. Holding on with a looser grip on what I think is good or bad. This way I can know if I’m growing in the ways I want or away from the things I don’t want. Pushing judgment away and watching, telling myself thank you at times, that is how I can see myself as an observer, not a judgmental guide using shame or praise, only to hide when I can bear my own self punishments. 


when the shore pulls ‘way
all that’s left just stays in mud
autumn starts to sway



Popular Posts

Search Posts