Haibun: Garbage

Did you know that in 2012, the average American threw away 7.1 lbs of trash a day. And from 1980 to 2000, America’s trash consumption went up by a third, so that 7.1 lbs is now more. (All this comes from the book, Garbology by Edward Humes)

It seems ubiquitous for me to buy everything in wrappers or packaging. In fact, Apple has made a study of how to make the box rumble as you or I unbox our IPhones. To think about the engineering that goes into, well, trash. Everything I buy to wear, eat, entertain myself, etc. comes with so much trash.

I’m trying to stop my part in all this waste.

Recently, I’ve started towards zero-waste. I picked lunch as my foray into it. Before I used a sandwich in a baggie (trash), a keto granola bar from the store (more trash), water bottles (even more trash), and two ice coffee concentrates or instant coffee packets for the road (still more trash). Poking around Sprouts, a few employees started telling me how they saw people get around the “abundant trash is normal” lifestyle. Now I bring my glass pyrex in and have them put my lunch meats and cheese in each one (zero-waste). I fill my mason jar with ground coffee for the week (zero-waste). My almonds, Brazil nuts, and peanuts all go in reusable bags (zero-waste). I make my iced coffee the night before and chill it (zero-waste).

I still have a long way to go, but I’m winning the battle in this first phase. It feels good to have a clean work truck because I don’t create so much trash anymore. It feels good not to generate so much needless, but harmful, waste.


against the desert brown
the flowered spring crown, laid down
for a summer gown




Popular Posts

Search Posts