Haibun: Listening

I remember a few years back, one Easter I asked my atheist friends on Facebook to please be patient with all of us who post all sorts of messages about our beliefs. I received some kind words back.


A few days before that, I listened as an atheist talked about how illogical it was for him to believe in God because of what he grew up in and what he also concluded as he thought if there was a God. I took time to consider what a world view could be like if there was no God using his paradigm. Seeing it from his perspective was eye-opening.


I didn’t change my beliefs, I wasn’t asked to. I was only asked to listen. And my willingness to listen and understand has opened my mind and my empathy. 


Differences may be thorny and rough, but it’s worth the slow go. It is often worth the time to listen and understand.


gnarled, twisted brush
till the cliffs, no rush. go slow
winter’s soon adjust




Popular Posts

Search Posts