Haibun: Falling Away

According to a few information signs I read around the remarkable land formations of Utah, geologist say that thin rock walls and some of the canyons happened because of the salt reserves under them “faulted,” or gave way under them millions of years ago—the loose dirt and excess rock falling away and leaving only these walls. Growing up in a Fundamentalist Christian background, I would have been told this was created 6-7,000 years ago to “declare the Glory of God!”

What is left when it is all pulled away? I’m not disputing either side, nor am I pitting them against each other, instead I’m forced to deal with myself when witnessing such a structure. I believe the geologist who’ve studied this, yet when I see such a wonder, I see something mystical, some things that are there that I think shouldn’t be, something beautiful. I feel fortunate.

So, with years to strip away the cultural hold of Fundamentalism, some things still stand through all the changes. I’m still left with a structure of mystical beauty. I appreciate the sense of mystery that’s been left and see there are bigger things outside of me.

rock walls, thin but strong,
still there while dirt’s gone, framing.
spring now builds summer 

& Haiku: Thin Rock Walls

Popular Posts

Search Posts