Haibun: Come Together

Coming together, the firm handshake for an old cowboy, the hug from a nephew, or the kiss on a chubby niece’s cheek can spread the Coronavirus, so we stay apart... for now. Yet it is that coming together that we feel sane. The contact with those we love that grounds us and helps us know who we are.

Imagine, going off into the woods or off on a Montana ranch for months at a time, only to emerge here and there with a hello at the grocery store and no touch. Eventually, when you or I would get around another person, we’d most likely see them as a foreign body, something we would react against and not with. So the ability to converse, to talk with, to know myself through commingling my words and touch and expression which is lost, so I would be lost as well. There is no space to put myself into and pull myself back out with more awareness of who I am.

We need each other.

two ends meet, kissing,
all spaces missing, arches.
spring comes together

&Haiku: Arches

Popular Posts

Search Posts