Haibun: So Proud

“...feeling pride for someone else’s child as if that child were your own. There’s a Yiddish word for it, but it escapes me now. Anyways, it’s a healthy thing.” Her sister’s words trail off as she sucked in more water form her camel pack.

“Yes, that’s probably why you son’s graduation has me crying all the time. I have my own kids, but I feel like he’s my own. I’m so proud of him.” Her eyes thick with unformed, embryonic tears.

“Stop, no crying now, we have the whole backside of the trail to finish and I’m running low on water.” Her sister pushed down on her pedal to get her bike moving again.

She followed, feeling her maternal pride.


mountains frame the brush,
desert: nothing lush. bleached wood.
pre-monsoon summer


(Happy Graduation Season to all you American readers.)

https://andhaiku.blogspot.com/2019/06/under-superstitions-view.html

Popular Posts

Search Posts