Haibun: Tearless Summer

Without even a hint of waiver, Summer looked at her, and then looked straight through her.

And yet this heat made her feel buoyant and loose, resilent as she ran through her sweat. She had to feel this moment: amazed at her lungs, amazed at how she moved. She turned towards the much longer trail and kept her stride. 

She doubted her own commitment last April when she was trying on new running shoes, but she just kept saying to herself, “I just have the dress up, show up, and lean forward. That’s all I’m committing too, not to run again. If I start to run instead of fall on my face when I lean forward, that is something I’ll decide then. All I have to do is dress up, show up, and lean forward.” 

Her stride was there: elongated but not far reaching. Each step was hers.


waterless, tearless,
dirt to dust dryness. no tears.
heat has no mercy




https://andhaiku.blogspot.com/2019/06/tearless.html


Popular Posts

Search Posts