Dreams: Part 5

The idea of writing, of bringing the creative to pass, resembles a sitting bicycle. Its more than the getting on and remembering. Questions like, "is the craft of writing rusty or not? Will it leave you dirty and regretful?" or maybe, "it will be fine?" run through my mind as I entered this post. Either way, the bike is upright, let's see where it goes.


(https://www.flickr.com/photos/szydlak)

As an English B.A. degree holder, I feel that I should be writing often, if not professionally, or at least part time as another way to pay off my student debt. This degree is because I dreamt of being a writer, yet now I feel my choices for my degree shouldn't be locked in stone and determine by someone so young and inexperienced at life. I don't think I'm alone on going a different path from my degree.

Chances are, you are with me on being on a different career path than what you thought of when you were just out of high school? In fact, according to a CBS News report, New study shows careers and college majors often don't match, it says:
"A new survey from CareerBuilder suggests that plenty of Americans never work in the field that they prepared for in college. Among the 2,134 workers surveyed, 47 percent of college graduates did not find a first job that was related to their college major. What's more, 32 percent of college grads said that they had never worked in a field related to their majors."
So, statistically, 32% are directly like me, while, I'm surmise from over a decade of conversations, its higher than that. But what does that mean for us? What does it mean if we have education that doesn't apply?

For me, it means that I've found other ways to look at things, I've learned more about myself and my skills and can move in other areas that I ever thought possible. My degree is irreplaceable in how it taught me to think, to write, to communicate, to listen, and to think differently from people who hold degrees directly related to their field.

I'm learning that I have new experiences and new dreams, and as a result, new directions. New dreams, new directions, not a bad thing. It's not a static process; in fact, it is as alive as we are, it's who we are. 

I've stopped looking at new directions as failed dreams, I don't want that guilt in my hands as extra weight. My hands must be free for my new adventure, so I don't regret picking the wrong direction. I would have regretted staying that course out of duty.



Also, this bicycle can at least pedal, even if a tire may be low on air or flat.

Popular Posts

Search Posts