Haibun: Blooms

For a while now, I’ve been writing the prose part of this. Every week I try to say something new but also something I see as true. Some weeks I find myself going back to the same well, other weeks I have something much more original.


Each week, I do face the fear when I first sit down that I won’t have any words to say or that it will be too inauthentic and more people will stop showing up to read this. If it wasn’t for the deadline to publish each week I committed to so long ago, I would have stopped showing up. It’s not worth the anxiety of creating something out of the blank screen.


But, it’s that anxiousness, like the thorns of a cactus that surround what blooms. Some bloom better, more beautiful, some not as much. But each week, blooming, and blooming means new and life.


flowers from the thorns
beauty has her scorn, always
blooming’s how spring’s born


(Huge thanks to Seth Godin for showing up each day in my inbox and constantly encouraging us all to do the same!)


























Popular Posts

Search Posts