Haibun: Memory's Blade

Like a chef’s knife cutting up what’s left of today, night will become when daylight has been sliced away. And as the sunset cast long shadows, bleaching that which it shines on and carving darkness where it doesn’t, so it is with time and memory for me: long shadows, deep shadows, more shadows obscuring the details and becoming only the blade of feelings that shape and trim remembered events. 

Take one random year in Baltimore and when I think back to a former boss. Having him as a supervisor for a few months, I recall vague ideas in the way of any events, yet, I still feel the need to avoid him. I can’t pinpoint the events, just the emotions. It’s weird, I recall what he looked like and feel an emotion, but no conversation or anything comes to mind. All I know is I feel the need to not be around him or to avoid any contact with him. I feel it.

I suppose I could recreate some details, pull some fuzzy details from someplace and get it. But like the darkness of dusk’s shadows, the details aren’t there, just the emotional blade, pushing down like dusk to cut away the daylight so I can on from what was and into what will be in the morning.

sunset sliced shadows
with light diagonal, cutting

but soon winter lifts

& Haiku: Dusk's Blade

Popular Posts

Search Posts