Haibun: Bigger

Obviously I too feel awful when I eat too many Reese’s. The blissful first bite does not indicate what is yet to come.

Staring at my phone and opening up my apps, completely out of habit, to check again—the flush of “hope” is no indicator of what I will feel in 5 minutes when I’m nose to screen again.

But, outside, in that which I’m not the star, the protagonist, each step indicates a growing hope: “look around,  everything is good.” It can also happen when you or I fight for the disadvantaged, like the persecuted Rohingya in Myanmar, giving them our best efforts and becoming part of something bigger called community or even justice. Or for some of us, when we pray and know we are heard, that is an opening into the bigger.

When I am in the bigger, the “not ego” or the “unaware of myself,” I see the field were the forest burnt to ash, knowing the seeds are in the ground and the soil is ready for taller; knowing that that bigger doesn’t need me to thrive but sure does loves me anyways!

part ash, part dried trees:
scorched, but will reseed... in time.

fall’s mountain top fields



& Haiku: Scorched Trees

Popular Posts

Search Posts