Haibun: I, The Sand Storm

I experienced my first blinding dust storm this week. A dust storm obviously has sand, but this one mixed itself with rain. Thick like an early morning, June fog above a Catskill Mountain valley, my view of the world pulled in to the five to ten feet around me.

Like us all, my emotions work me like this dust storm. There’s always some moisture, dust, and movement of air, but it all goes unnoticed until it builds and is all I know, feel, and live. Suddenly my views and understanding of everything around me are just the immediacy of the emotion on top of me from all sides. In both cases, to move and to act is dangerous, so I sit and wait it out.

wind welds rain with sand
gone the scapes of land: blinding.
Sonoran autumn



& Haiku: Sand Storm

Popular Posts

Search Posts