Haibun: New Story

One mistake I constantly made in life is to always define myself based on recent events. So, if I’m rejected, “I’m not good enough.” If I won, “I’m a winner.” The use of these events as a definition of myself constantly changed. So was my mood. I’m not alone in this.


In time, mainly time I found for myself, I started to discover myself. In time I started to build and make things I wanted to make. Discovery of the self through work, even this work of showing up each week has given me something else to weigh myself against: “am I learning and improving in the areas I’m working on?”


On these scales I am no longer tossed into the world of status and comparison, no longer at the whims of changing emotions. So like the ant I can set out to do my work


so many ants moving
nothing spared, no losing, prepping
with spring now grooving





Popular Posts

Search Posts