Haibun: Grand Canyon

When I arrived at the Grand Canyon for the first time, I absolutely hated it. I couldn’t see the edge and was almost smacked in the face with a selfie stick. There were an endless amount of humans taking selfies at the edge, unaware of the world outside their phone and all it connected to. I felt the glory of the Grand Canyon lay dead at the feet of Instagram.


I jumped back in the car and started driving, hoping for something I could see and experience. I passed a few lookouts loaded with selfies, turned a corner and just pulled over. The Grand Canyon kept appearing out of the driver side, so if I figured if I ran in that direction I could find it.


Off I ran for maybe a mile, the wind in the tunnel of it all growing louder. I found the Grand Canyon, away from Instagram and I felt small in my awe of such majesty.



dancing in the sky

over things that fly away

like fall saying “bye”





Popular Posts

Search Posts