cats part 1

Growing up, we had this cat named Scruffy. Scruffy, for the most part, lived up to her name. There was nothing elegant about her. She was gray and white and maybe some black in her, and it wasn't uncommon to she her walking away with a mouse in her mouth.

I don't remember how old I was when we got her, maybe she came with the beginnings of this planet, I don't know. But, I was in college when she disappeared. Honestly, I don't remember a lot of detail about her. I do however remember stories of her.

Where we lived in the mountains of Upstate New York, we didn't get any TV stations; so summers out of school were spent outside or around the kitchen table. This one summer day, my mother, my sister Linea, and my sister's friend Beverly were sitting at the kitchen table. At that time, we were having issues with bats flying out of the end of our house. Well, all of a sudden, this bat came flying through the hall and into the kitchen. As everyone started to react, Scruffy jumped onto the kitchen table and before the bat was half way across the kitchen, our cat had manage to swipe it with her paw.

We all sat there stunned. As we started looking at each other, Scruffy took the bat off to eat it. We never saw that bat or any other bat again.

I liked Scruffy! But I'm finding that my dislike for cats is growing.  Tomorrow I'll post the second part of my thoughts on cats.

Do you have a cat you like? Do you have a good cat story? 

Popular Posts

Search Posts